Looking for kosher food? Some 30,000 different food products in groceries today are reported to be certified kosher. Of course, plenty of people enjoy kosher foods and many have a taste for Jewish cuisine, regardless of their religion. Just because you're away from home doesn't mean you have to forgo delicious pastrami or corned beef or yummy matzoh ball soup.
Shopping for kosher products and finding good deli in the St. Louis metropolitan area is easier than ever. That said, not every store in the major chains carries the same products, and some have larger kosher sections than others. (If your local grocery does not sell something you need, ask the store manager about stocking the item.)
Here is a guide to local groceries and also a short list of delis and restaurants where you can find kosher foods and/or Jewish cuisine.
• Costco. Stores carry some kosher products, including packaged bakery goods and a variety of meats. Stores are at 4200 Rusty Road in South County, 301 Highlands Boulevard in Manchester and 200 Costco Way in St. Peters.
• Dierbergs. All 23 stores carry kosher foods. The largest selections can be found at Dierbergs Brentwood Pointe at 8450 Eager Road in Brentwood, Dierbergs West Oak at 11481 Olive Blvd. in Creve Coeur and Dierbergs Heritage Place at 12595 Olive Blvd. in Creve Coeur. The Brentwood and West Oak stores also have kosher in-store bakeries.
• Schnucks. Of the 67 stores in the metropolitan area, these five carry the largest selections of kosher foods: 8867 Ladue Road in Ladue, 12756 Olive Blvd. in Ballwin, 10650 Olive Blvd. in Creve Coeur, 141 Hilltown Village in Chesterfield and 1060 Woods Mill Plaza in Chesterfield. Kosher-certified in-store bakeries are in Ladue, Ballwin and Creve Coeur.
• Straub's. The three Straub's stores carry some kosher products year ‘round, with special displays in place close to Jewish holidays. Stores with the largest selection are at 8282 Forsyth Blvd. in Clayton and 302 North Kingshighway in the Central West End. The store at 211 West Lockwood in Webster Groves has just a few kosher items.
• Trader Joe's. All four local Trader Joe's branches carry some kosher products. For a list (though not all products may be available at all times), see www.traderjoes.com/pdf/lists/list-kosher.pdf. Stores are at 48 Brentwood Promenade Court in Brentwood, 1679 Clarkson Road in Chesterfield, 13343 Manchester Road in Des Peres and 11505 Olive Blvd. in Creve Coeur.
• Whole Foods. Last year, Whole Foods expanded its selection of kosher products, among them organic and/or whole grain products. The stores have offered antibiotic-free kosher chicken and turkey products since 2009. Stores are at 1160 Town and Country Crossing in Town and Country and 1601 South Brentwood Blvd. in Brentwood.
Specialty Kosher Markets
• Global Foods Market. Food from around the world, some of which carries kosher certification, and also a selection of kosher food products from Israel. The store is at 421 North Kirkwood Road, Kirkwood.
• Gokul, St. Louis' only kosher Indian restaurant - and a vegetarian one at that. Note that while Gokul has two locations, only the University City loop location is kosher. The U.City location is at 6101 Delmar Boulevard.
• Herky's J Café, Jewish Community Center, 2 Millstone Campus, Creve Coeur
• Breadsmith. Under the supervision of the Vaad Hoeir, the bakery includes a wide selection of delicious breads and pastries at 10031 Manchester Road; there is also a selection of their products inside Simon Kohn's Market at 10401 Old Olive Street Road, Creve Coeur (see below).
• Simon Kohn's Market, Restaurant and Kosher Deli. Prepared foods, fresh meats (including homemade corned beef), kosher wine, frozen foods and groceries. Under kosher supervision of the Vaad Hoeir, at 10401 Old Olive Street Road, Creve Coeur.
Delis and Restaurants
(Not kosher but "Jewish-style")
• Carl's Delicatessen Restaurant, 6401 Clayton Road, St. Louis
• Kopperman's Specialty Foods, 386 North Euclid Avenue, St. Louis
• Lester's Sports Bar and Grill, 9906 Clayton Road, Ladue and 14810 Clayton Road, Chesterfield
• Pickles Deli, 22 N. Euclid Avenue, St. Louis
• Posh Nosh, 8115 Maryland Avenue, Clayton
• Sam and Jake's Pumpernickel Deli, 11036 Olive Boulevard, Creve Coeur
• Protzel's Delicatessen. 7608 Wydown Boulevard, Clayton