If pressed for an opinion, I would say that I believe 2021 will be a better year for humanity than 2020 has been, based on a layman’s understanding of the current state of medical science, political and economic realities and human nature.
Thursday, December 31, 2020
Tuesday, December 08, 2020
Have you ever noticed that, no matter how you spell the holiday known as The Festival of Lights, you need eight letters? I like to think of it as one letter per night, whether you prefer Chanukah or Hanukkah.
Friday, November 20, 2020
Thanksgiving arrives at a perfect time each year, just as the myriad of world religions gear up for their respective winter celebrations. Many consider it the perfect intersection of all great religious traditions; and depending on the topics in which your guests choose to engage, this holid…
Thursday, November 19, 2020
Death’s a funny thing. It can focus your mind, but it also can set your head spinning. It can even do both at the same time, as did to me over the weekend.
Thursday, October 01, 2020
Two years ago, a team of filmmakers, artisans and technical wizards led by multi-Oscar-winning director Peter Jackson (“The Lord of the Rings” trilogy, “The Hobbit” trilogy, “King Kong” and much more) completed work on an astonishing documentary titled “They Shall Not Grow Old.”
Thursday, September 10, 2020
This year, the celebration of Selichot - the official “kickoff” for the High Holy Days – commences with sundown on Saturday, Sept. 12th. Jewish tradition instructs us to regard this time as a period of soul-searching and reflection, as we prepare for the solemnity of Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur.
Thursday, July 16, 2020
Retirement from the U.S. Army didn’t seem to be in the cards for 45-year-old Lt. Col. Alexander S. Vindman.
Friday, July 10, 2020
Bob Cohn discusses why he'll never forget Carl Reiner's 1995 St. Louis Jewish Book Festival talk. Reiner died June 29 at age 98.
- A photo of an anti-Semitic shirt went viral after the Capitol siege. Here’s what the people sharing it got wrong and why it matters.
- Pssst, here’s a tip: Jerry Berger’s legacy is complicated
- They broke into the Capitol — not into our Jewish beliefs
- St. Louis synagogues respond to riot at Capitol
- Cardinals fashionistas unite during 2021 Winter Warmup
- Newsmakers: January 2021
- Neo-Nazis, QAnon and Camp Auschwitz: A guide to the hate symbols and signs on display at the Capitol riots
- J Associates put new spin on winter fundraiser
- St. Louis based drummer, Robert Koritz, launches Grateful Dead podcast
- Lessons learned: How adapting to the pandemic will enhance Jewish community services