This year, the celebration of Selichot - the official “kickoff” for the High Holy Days – commences with sundown on Saturday, Sept. 12th. Jewish tradition instructs us to regard this time as a period of soul-searching and reflection, as we prepare for the solemnity of Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur.
Thursday, September 10, 2020
Thursday, July 16, 2020
Retirement from the U.S. Army didn’t seem to be in the cards for 45-year-old Lt. Col. Alexander S. Vindman.
Friday, July 10, 2020
Bob Cohn discusses why he'll never forget Carl Reiner's 1995 St. Louis Jewish Book Festival talk. Reiner died June 29 at age 98.
Thursday, June 18, 2020
On June 8, Hennepin County (Minnesota) District Court Judge Karen Janisch signed a far-reaching order that, among other provisions, flatly prohibits the Minneapolis Police Department from using chokeholds or neck restraints of any kind “for any reason.”
Thursday, May 07, 2020
The earliest military death carved into the 140 polished black stone panels of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C., is that of Air Force Tech. Sgt. Richard B. Fitzgibbon Jr. of North Weymouth, Mass. He was killed in Saigon on June 8, 1956, at the age of 35.
Thursday, April 30, 2020
Welcome to the stay-at-home community! In addition to processing the various and often conflicting news reports, cleaning the house again and again, and trying to get outside for exercise, I find myself consuming much more coffee than usual. In an effort to inject a bit more ‘health” into th…
Thursday, April 09, 2020
As a septuagenarian, I have never envisioned in my lifetime what we are experiencing. I could have conceived of a nuclear exchange occurring; it almost happened during the Cuban missile crisis of 1962.
Thursday, March 19, 2020
Here’s a sentence I never thought I’d write: Mick Mulvaney was right.
- Menu ideas for breaking the Yom Kippur fast
- St. Louisans fondly remember their connection to Ruth Bader Ginsburg
- Be flexible, take it slow for Yom Kippur fast at home
- Golf tournament to raise funds for Esther Miller Bais Yaakov
- Arugula Salad with Roasted Beets, Red Onions, Walnuts and Goat Cheese
- Clayton native poses in Jewish guys wall calendar
- Student to Student adapts to connect teens virtually
- NCJW to honor former Sen. Claire McCaskill
- Spiced Honey Biscotti
- Downsized High Holidays menu can be nourishing with a side of symbolism