If pressed for an opinion, I would say that I believe 2021 will be a better year for humanity than 2020 has been, based on a layman’s understanding of the current state of medical science, political and economic realities and human nature.
Thursday, December 31, 2020
Tuesday, December 08, 2020
Have you ever noticed that, no matter how you spell the holiday known as The Festival of Lights, you need eight letters? I like to think of it as one letter per night, whether you prefer Chanukah or Hanukkah.
Friday, November 20, 2020
Thanksgiving arrives at a perfect time each year, just as the myriad of world religions gear up for their respective winter celebrations. Many consider it the perfect intersection of all great religious traditions; and depending on the topics in which your guests choose to engage, this holid…
Thursday, November 19, 2020
Death’s a funny thing. It can focus your mind, but it also can set your head spinning. It can even do both at the same time, as did to me over the weekend.
Thursday, October 01, 2020
Two years ago, a team of filmmakers, artisans and technical wizards led by multi-Oscar-winning director Peter Jackson (“The Lord of the Rings” trilogy, “The Hobbit” trilogy, “King Kong” and much more) completed work on an astonishing documentary titled “They Shall Not Grow Old.”
Thursday, September 10, 2020
This year, the celebration of Selichot - the official “kickoff” for the High Holy Days – commences with sundown on Saturday, Sept. 12th. Jewish tradition instructs us to regard this time as a period of soul-searching and reflection, as we prepare for the solemnity of Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur.
Thursday, July 16, 2020
Retirement from the U.S. Army didn’t seem to be in the cards for 45-year-old Lt. Col. Alexander S. Vindman.
Friday, July 10, 2020
Bob Cohn discusses why he'll never forget Carl Reiner's 1995 St. Louis Jewish Book Festival talk. Reiner died June 29 at age 98.
- What you need to know before binging new Israeli show "Losing Alice"
- Journalist Nina Totenberg, St. Louis native Andy Cohen dig into family history on ‘Finding Your Roots’
- 3 Jewish fashion statements from the inauguration: Bernie’s mittens, Batsheva, Lady Gaga’s dove
- This is our moment to bear witness
- Jewish sports superstar Sue Bird to appear at Jewish Federation of St. Louis event
- Learning modern Hebrew offers glimpse of Israeli day-to-day life
- Second summer of COVID challenges camp directors
- Elynor Flegel, 79, prolific fundraiser for charitable causes in St. Louis
- Rainy Mondays are perfect days for chicken noodle soup
- HBO Max’s next Israeli show: ‘Possessions,’ a thriller about a French woman caught in a murder case