- 1/3 c., plus 1 tbsp. sugar
- ½ c. water
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Juice of 1 small lime
- 1 3-4 lb. seedless watermelon, rind removed and flesh cut into 1-inch balls
- 2 pts. fresh blueberries, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 lb. fresh strawberries, hulled, rinsed, patted dry, and halved, divided
- ¾ c. toasted pistachios, coarsely chopped
To make lime syrup, add sugar, water and vanilla extract to a small saucepan set over medium heat. Stir to dissolve sugar and then bring mixture to a boil. Lower heat and simmer five to seven minutes, or until mixture becomes syrupy. Remove pan from heat and stir in lime juice. Cool to room temperature, transfer to a small container, and refrigerate until needed. (Syrup can be made two days in advance.)
Combine watermelon balls, blueberries, half of the strawberries and half of the reserved lime syrup in a medium bowl; set aside.
Place remaining strawberries in a small bowl and add remaining syrup. Using a fork, mash strawberries to create a sauce. Add this mixture to medium bowl of fruit and toss gently to combine.
Divide fruit mixture between six small bowls and sprinkle each serving with pistachios. If desired, serve with your favorite cookies.
Makes 6 servings.