- 4 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1½ cups)
- 1½ tsp. coarse kosher salt
- 1 large garlic clove, halved
- 2 large cantaloupes, peeled and seeded and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/3 c. tightly-packed cup mint leaves, randomly torn
- 2 tbsp. finely snipped chives
- 2-3 tbsp. white balsamic vinegar, plus more as needed
- 1/3 c. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon of sugar, if needed to sweeten the melon
- 8 oz. crumbled ricotta salata or feta cheese
1. Place chopped cucumbers into a large colander. Sprinkle with salt and let sit for 15 minutes. Turn cucumber into a clean towel and gently squeeze to soak up moisture.
2. Rub a serving bowl with the garlic. Add the cucumber, melon, mint, chives, vinegar and 2-3 tablespoons of oil. Toss in ricotta salata or feta cheese, and season to taste with more oil vinegar, salt and pepper, as needed; serve immediately.
Makes 10-12 servings.