- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 lb. yellow onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 1 bunch parsley, coarsely chopped and divided
- 2 lbs. tomatoes, chopped (about 4 cups) or an equal amount of canned crushed tomatoes
- 1½ tsp. salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 lb. potatoes, sliced 1 inch thick
- 2 lbs. green beans, trimmed
In a heavy Dutch oven, warm the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add sliced onions and saute for five minutes. Add garlic, peppercorns and half of the parsley. Stir and saute for another five minutes.
Stir in tomatoes, salt and pepper and bring mixture to a boil. Let cook for five minutes.
Stir sliced potatoes into the sauce and layer the green beans on top; do not stir them into the mixture.
Cover pot and simmer for approximately one hour, checking every 15 minutes to make sure that the liquid remains at the middle of the green bean layer. If needed, add small amounts of water to maintain that level. Stir mixture only if it appears to be sticking to the bottom of the pan.
Taste before serving, adding more salt or pepper, as needed.