- 3-4 large leeks, root ends and dark green portions discarded
- 2 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- ½ c. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh dill
- ½ c. water
- Heaping ½ tsp. salt, plus more to taste
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
Cut leeks in half lengthwise and rinse to remove any dirt or sand. Cut leeks into large pieces.
Heat 2 tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet and sauté the leeks and onions over medium heat until softened and beginning to caramelize, about 15 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, ½ cup extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper; stir to incorporate. Simmer mixture for five minutes.
Stir in dill and ½ cup water. Cover pan with a tight-fitting lid or foil and continue simmering over very low heat for 10-12 minutes or until almost all the water is absorbed and only the oil remains.
Makes 4-6 generous side dish servings.