Covenant Place’s new Mirowitz Center will celebrate its opening the week of Sept. 9 by offering the community free trial classes.
The following are recurring programs. For more information or to register, visit http://bit.ly/Mirowitz-Center-form (click on “Our Calendar” under the “Attend” box) or call 314-432-1610. The Mirowitz Center is located in Covenant Place II’s Cahn Family Building, 8 Millstone Campus Drive in Creve Coeur.
The classes are:
• Tai Chi — Mondays (11:15 a.m. to noon) and Thursdays (11 to 11:45 a.m.). Led by RPI physical therapist Scott Uelsmann, the class focuses on meditative movements and chair-based aerobics exercises. Chair participation is an option for all classes.
• Knit-Wits — Tuesdays from 1:15 to 2:15 p.m. Participants can enhance their skills or help others learn, or simply socialize with others as they knit. The group is led by instructor Jerri Livingston. Beginner to advanced knitters are welcome. Some supplies are available. No cost to attend. Call 314-432-1610 to RSVP.
• Balance Barre by Vitality Senior Ballet — Wednesdays, 9:30 to 10:15 a.m. Vitality Ballet’s signature class consists of modified barre and chair-based exercises and stretches done to music with a fun and artistic edge. Designed for senior adults, this class works key muscle groups that are necessary for maintaining balance and independence. There is an additional focus on posture, flexibility, coordination and strengthening. No dance experience or special attire is needed. Class accommodates all fitness levels.
• Balance and Bands — Wednesdays, 11 a.m. to noon. Fitness professional Charlie Foxman leads a weekly, fun, active class focusing on balance and movement for all fitness levels.
• Community Singers — Wednesdays, 1 to 2 p.m. Singers and non-singers are welcome — no experience necessary. Songs are learned from CDs, not printed music. Professional musician Robert Denison conducts the group, which also offers performance opportunities. Free to attend.
• Chair Yoga — Fridays, 11 to 11:45 a.m. Led by Maxine Mirowitz, this class is adaptable for all ages and abilities and focuses on strength conditioning, flexibility and balance, as well as stress and pain reduction.
• Get Your Game On — Mondays and Tuesdays, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Enjoy mah jongg, bridge, poker, Mexican Train, board games, brain games, whatever participants would like to play. Tables are available for groups on a first-come, first-served basis.
• The Rabbi Is In — the second Wednesday of every month (except for holidays). Learn from Rabbi Micah Buck-Yael, Community Chaplain for Jewish Family & Children’s Service, who will lead discussions about Judaism, answer questions and facilitate group study of Jewish texts.
• Movies at Mirowitz — 1 to 3 p.m. Thursdays and Fridays. Enjoy new releases and classics on the Mirowitz Center’s new 14-foot screen and sound system. Hearing assist devices are available on request. Movie selections for each week are listed at http://bit.ly/Mirowitz-Center-form or by calling 314-733-9813. No cost to attend, but movie refreshments cost $1 each.