"Live Chesed" is the theme at Louis and Sarah Block Yeshiva High School this year. Acts of kindness are on the schedule day in, day out, for all the students in the Girls' School.
Not all of our Unsung Heroes are Jewish. Jim Lemen, for example, is Protestant, but he was chosen for this honor because of his foresight in championing a Holocaust studies curriculum at John Burroughs School. That and the fact he's an all-around nice guy whom the students and faculty like a…
Hundreds, perhaps thousands of area schoolchildren have walked past the "The Flame," a picture-filled art quilt that hangs at the St. Louis Holocaust Museum & Learning Center. A memorial to the victims of World War II, the quilt was designed by the late Roz Flax and hand-sewn by Elsie Le…
Sarijane Freiman never set out to be a social activist. In fact, she grew up at a time when "young ladies were supposed to marry well, make children, join Hadassah and work for (the temple) Sisterhood." Freiman did all those things. But it was as a mother, determined to help her youngest chi…
A member of Creve Coeur's Community Emergency Response Team (CERT), a disaster assistance employee with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and a member of the American Red Cross Disaster Action Team, Moskowitz's volunteer work routinely takes him to fires and disaster scenes.
Growing up in Bethlehem, Penn., Dan Glazier observed his parents regularly practice tzedakah. His mother, a social worker, and his father, a dentist, made giving to others a priority. Glazier remembers his father's dental practice was "in some ways like a social service agency" because of th…
News & Schmooze
A couple of big developments have taken place at institutions on the I.E. Millstone Campus near Creve Coeur.
The Jewish Light is planning a series of special events this year, beginning on Thursday, Feb. 20 with a luncheon at …
John Burroughs senior Gabe Fleisher has been tapped to host a new KWMU (STL’s NPR affiliate) podcast, “Wake Up To Pol…
- Originally from South Africa, physical therapists built company after meeting in St. Louis
- St. Louis Holocaust Museum announces 2020 schedule for Sunday film series
- Travel grants to Israel offered for teens, young adults
- Covenant’s cafe thrives with 2 kitchens, kosher and non-kosher
- On being present with the divine
- JF&CS changes name, aims to widen impact
- Roslyn Kaskowitz Glaser
- Holocaust Museum receives $750k NEH challenge grant and more Millstone Campus news
- Gabe Fleisher to host political podcast for St. Louis Public Radio
- Great music, acting lift slow-starting Shoah-themed drama