"Live Chesed" is the theme at Louis and Sarah Block Yeshiva High School this year. Acts of kindness are on the schedule day in, day out, for all the students in the Girls' School.
Not all of our Unsung Heroes are Jewish. Jim Lemen, for example, is Protestant, but he was chosen for this honor because of his foresight in championing a Holocaust studies curriculum at John Burroughs School. That and the fact he's an all-around nice guy whom the students and faculty like a…
Hundreds, perhaps thousands of area schoolchildren have walked past the "The Flame," a picture-filled art quilt that hangs at the St. Louis Holocaust Museum & Learning Center. A memorial to the victims of World War II, the quilt was designed by the late Roz Flax and hand-sewn by Elsie Le…
Sarijane Freiman never set out to be a social activist. In fact, she grew up at a time when "young ladies were supposed to marry well, make children, join Hadassah and work for (the temple) Sisterhood." Freiman did all those things. But it was as a mother, determined to help her youngest chi…
A member of Creve Coeur's Community Emergency Response Team (CERT), a disaster assistance employee with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and a member of the American Red Cross Disaster Action Team, Moskowitz's volunteer work routinely takes him to fires and disaster scenes.
Growing up in Bethlehem, Penn., Dan Glazier observed his parents regularly practice tzedakah. His mother, a social worker, and his father, a dentist, made giving to others a priority. Glazier remembers his father's dental practice was "in some ways like a social service agency" because of th…
News & Schmooze
Ohr Chadash Teen Page
Given the coronavirus, the past year has been really hard on everyone, especially students.
Since March, American schools and students have had to adapt to the COVID-19 pandemic. Most members of the Class of 2…
It was a year like no other. When a pandemic hit and shut down America in March, it discouraged many people who had b…
Every year, St. Louis welcomes three to four Israeli teens representing the Shinshin program through the Jewish Feder…
- Newsmakers: January 2021
- J Associates put new spin on winter fundraiser
- The return of a Lost Tribe of Israel, 27 centuries later
- An AEPi executive is involved in a group that took part in the pro-Trump DC rally. He has no regrets.
- Remembering Tanya Roberts, finding Jewish roots and more
- Comedian Sebastian Maniscalco to headline Jewish Federation of St. Louis event
- Young Israelis share their love of country with St. Louis teens
- Meet Misha Marshall, learn about 63106 Project
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer describes painful associations of seeing ‘Camp Auschwitz’ T-shirt
- Pssst, here’s a tip: Jerry Berger’s legacy is complicated